A dedicated environment for ORS verified students with experienced staff who work in partnership with parents and caregivers to ensure students reach their full potential.
We are committed to being understanding, supportive and respectful of all students and their families.
We operate a unique and specific programme centred around the individual needs of each student, with an emphasis on the use of ICT, providing a learning environment that is motivating and challenging, individualised, relevant and success oriented.
- Education for ORS verified students Year 0 – 6.
- Commitment to inclusive education to meet the needs of individual students.
- Experienced, professional and caring staff whom work closely in partnership with parents and caregivers as well as outside agencies.
- Individualised programmes designed in partnership with parents and caregivers with consultation with Group Special Education (GSE) e.g. Speech Language Therapists, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist.
- Daily individualised programmes developed around an Individual Education Plan (IEP) with a strong emphasis on routines and visuals.
- Strong emphasis on IT and assistive technology, which cater for individual requirements e.g. iPads, iPods, touch screen computers, computers.
- Inclusive environment within the school that provides opportunities to practise social and communication skills as well as to generate and develop friendships with their peers.
- Inclusion in school wide experiences e.g. Kapa Haka, PMP, Enviro, school wide singing assemblies, Jump Jam, Cross Country, field trips.
- Year round water confidence and swimming programmes on-site.
- Weekly sessions with Riding for the Disabled and life skills outings within the local community.
- Promotion of functional life skills and support with daily self-management and self-care skills.
- Ongoing and comprehensive use of Narrative Assessment to support assessment for learning within the New Zealand Curriculum.
- An environment that is an integrated and valued part of Johnsonville School.
What parents have to say:
“Despite multiple special needs, our son enjoys and benefits from the caring and positive environment in the unit.”
Communication channels between staff and parents are kept open at all times, maximising the educational opportunities available.”
The unit is helping our son to achieve greater independence by focusing on developing life skills as well as academic skills.”
We welcome all enquiries. For further information or to arrange a visit, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Korowai – Special Education Unit
Phone: (04) 478-7155 Ext 2